Hire and Retain the Best People
To build a great and successful company or organization you must start on day one by building a rock solid foundation. A strong foundation is built on hiring and retaining the best people. Focus on your people and the rest will fall into place. Your organization will be able to overcome challenges, solve problems and meet the competition. Without the best people, the organization will fall apart, not be competitive, fail to grow or myriad other problems.
 Related Best Practices
- Action plan to build a winning team
- Building an Effective Management Team
- Building a High Performance Team
- Building a Team
- Hiring and Interviewing
- Employee Retention
- Strength Finder -Assessing Strengths of Leaders and Managers
- How to be a Mentor
- “6 Ways Successful Teams are Built to Last” Forbes, Oct, 2012; Glenn Llopis discusses leadership techniques that build a team.
- wikipedia : Team building Wikipedia page discusses more generally team building in multiple settings.
- “Guide to Managing Human Resources, Chapter 14: Team Building”University of California, San Francisco – review steps to building and effective team and organizational benefits
- “Build a Tower Build a Team”, TED talk by Tom Wujec – lessons learned from teams building a tower from simple materials.
- Wikipedia article on Wikipedia:High-performance teams
- Wikibooks on Wikibooks: Managing Groups and Teams/How Do You Build High-performing Virtual Teams?
- "The 6 Benchmarks of High Performance Teams" by Jesse Stoner is based on research of 500 employers that developed an assessment of visionary leadership behaviors and good management practices and the performance of their team.
- KSL Training in the UK offers a free downloadable PDF copy of their guide (copyright protected) on building high performance teams as well a basic description on their website.
- Teampedia has a team building tools, icebreakers and activities list and a global directory of Team Building Companies on their website.
The author of this page is Terry Gardiner
Terry Gardiner is the founder and President of Silver Lining Seafoods and NorQuest Seafoods - a medium-size Alaska seafood processing company; and currently a Board member of the Anvil Corporation, an employee-owned company specializing in oil and gas engineering.
His co-operative experiences include member director of the Commercial Fishermen Co-operative association; creation of legislation for the Alaska Commercial Fishing and Agriculture Bank; and advisor to the US Dept of Health and Social Services for the state Health CO-OPs.
Terry served ten years as a member of the Alaska House of Representatives -several legislative committee chairmanships, Speaker of the House, Chairman of the Alaska Criminal Code Commission and board member on various state and federal boards and commissions.
Terry authored the leadership book, "Six-Word Lessons to Build Effective Leaders: 100 Lessons to Equip Your People to Create Winning Organizations".
For more check: Terry Gardiner Long bio